Whether you’re building up to that eagerly anticipated beach break or suffering from post-holiday blues after overindulging on your travels, Dominic Bowser, senior personal trainer at Benton-based Sound Mind and Body health and wellbeing centre, has five simple nutritional tips to help you feel your best pre or post-holiday.
1. Water, water, water – As the body is mostly made of water it’s so important to keep hydrated, ideally drinking at least two litres each day, and even more if you’ve been exercising. The list of benefits that this brings is endless.
2. Keep it simple – To function efficiently the body needs all of the building blocks and nutrients found in natural foods like vegetables, fruit, fish and meat. Processed food should be avoided as eating this gives a quick hit of energy followed by a lull. The body then has to work harder to digest all of the additives found in processed food, leaving you feeling sluggish and lethargic.
3. Fat is not the enemy – For great hair, nails and skin eat good fats which are found in oily fish including mackerel, herring and salmon, as well as avocados and nuts. These good fats can also help lower bad cholesterol.
4. Be creative with salads – A simple salad can take just minutes to prepare and will taste great. Pack salads with lots of vegetables and protein to keep you feeling fuller for longer to help combat sugary snack cravings.
5. Say no to sugar – If you’re looking to stay in shape, avoid simple sugars found in sweet treats like cakes, biscuits and chocolate. Instead, snack on fresh fruits or vegetables with a healthy dip.
For more information on Sound Mind and Body visit: www.soundmindandbody.co.uk or call 0191 280 9274.
I Love Newcastle Magazine would love to hear your thoughts about the above post, so please feel free to share them in the comments box below.