Created by Mark and Shelley Deakin, The North East Chilli Festival returns to Seaton Delaval Hall for its 5th Birthday and promises to be hotter, louder and prouder than ever before. This two-day spice extravaganza will take place on 2nd and 3rd of July and will attract both foodies and spice junkies in their thousands.
At this year’s northern homage to ‘all things spicy’, there will be over 60 stalls showcasing both fierce fiery creations and more tame offerings from local food vendors. Among the local names taking part are Kitty’s Ginger Wine, Spicy Monkey, Northumberland Sausage Co., Mr J Ro’s, Mr Vikki’s, The French Oven and Yellow Fields.
“The backdrop is fantastic and we can promise a great weekend with more than just chillies on the menu”
Their will be something for everyone at this ‘Chilli Con Carnival.’ The entertainment will be provided by an eclectic mix of acts and events including the notorious ‘Chilli-eating Competition,’ 90’s soul legend – Kenny Thomas – Smoove and Turrell – The Din – Soulutuons and Famous Geordie Magicician Chris Cross with his ‘Flamin Hot’ Cabaret. There’s also plenty of entertainment for the kids including craft workshops and a ‘Kids Area.’
So gather up the family and head down to the hottest festival in the north east where there won’t be a dry eye in the house!
To get you in the mood we’ve compiled a list of 5 fiery facts about chillies.
1. Chillies were being eaten in Central and South America as long ago as 7,000BC, which gives them claims to be the world’s oldest condiment.
2. Chilli strength is measured in SHUs (Scoville Heat Units).
3. Scoville ratings range from zero for bell peppers to 16 million Scoville units for pure capsaicin (the chemical giving a chilli its heat)..
4. The hottest part of a chilli is where the seed is attached to the white membrane inside the pepper.
5. In February 2012, a Moruga Scorpion chilli was the first to measure over 2,000,000 Scoville units.
Tickets are available here>>
I Love Newcastle Magazine would love to hear your thoughts about the above post, so please feel free to share them in the comments box below.