Created by Mark and Shelley Deakin, The North East Chilli Festival returns to Seaton Delaval Hall and promises to be hotter, louder and prouder than ever. This two-day spice extravaganza will take place on 5th and 6th July and will attract foodies and spice junkies alike in their thousands.
At this year’s northern homage to ‘all things spicy’, there will be over 60 stalls showcasing both fierce fiery creations and more tame offerings from local food vendors. Among the local names taking part are Kitty’s Ginger Wine, Spicy Monkey, Northumberland Sausage Co., Mr J Ro’s, Mr Vikki’s, The French oven and Yellow Fields.
“The backdrop is fantastic and we can promise a great weekend with more than just chillies on the menu”
Their will be something for everyone at this ‘Chilli Con Carnival.’ The entertainment will be provided by an eclectic mix of acts and events including the notorious ‘Chilli-eating Competition,’ Chris Cross- the amazing world-famous contortionist, escapologist and magician, the famous Dj Morales and much more. This popular family event has plenty of entertainment for the kids including craft workshops and a ‘Kids Area.’
So gather up the family and head down to the hottest festival in the north east where there won’t be a dry eye in the house!
To get you in the mood we have compiled a list of 5 fiery facts about chillies.
1. Chillies were being eaten in Central and South America as long ago as 7,000BC, which gives them claims to be the world’s oldest condiment.
2. Chilli strength is measured in SHUs (Scoville Heat Units).
3. Scoville ratings range from zero for bell peppers to 16 million Scoville units for pure capsaicin (the chemical giving a chilli its heat)..
4. The hottest part of a chilli is where the seed is attached to the white membrane inside the pepper.
5. In February 2012, a Moruga Scorpion chilli was the first to measure over 2,000,000 Scoville units.
Tickets are available here>>
Where & When
Seaton Delaval Hall, Seaton Sluice
05/07/2014 – 06/07/2014
Sat: 10:00 – 18:00, Sun: 10:00 – 17:00
Follow Signs for event parking at Seaton Sluice opposite Gloucester lodge, Sat Nav NE24 3PH £2 All Day Parking, Free Shuttle Bus
Tel: 07904 187 644
I Love Newcastle Magazine would love to hear your thoughts about the above post, so please feel free to share them in the comments box below.