The outstanding success and achievements of the Northern legal community were acknowledged in style at the inaugural Northern Law Awards this month sponsored by NWG Property Solutions.
Hosted by BBC Look North’s breakfast presenter Colin Briggs, the black-tie event took place at the Biscuit Room, the newest addition to Newcastle’s Biscuit Factory, bringing together more than 260 people from some of the region’s foremost legal firms and institutions in a celebration of individual and team success.
Fiona Fletcher, managing director at Echo Events & Association Management, one of the largest events companies in the region and the organisers of the Northern Law Awards, said: “Until now, there has been no forum in the North for those working across the legal profession to showcase and celebrate their talents and achievements. It was great to see firms and lawyers from all areas of the region, and across different areas of specialism, take part in what was a fun evening celebrating a lot of very hard, specialised work by lawyers we are fortunate to have access to in this region.”
The 2015 winners
• Team of the Year – Personal Injury / Clinical Negligence: Irwin Mitchell Solicitors
• Trainee of the Year: James Fairman, Ward Hadaway
• Team of the Year – Crime / Regulatory: Hay & Kilner Solicitors
• Team of the Year – Litigation & Dispute Resolution: Tilly Bailey & Irvine
• Team of the Year – Corporate / Commercial (sponsored by Tait Walker): Square One Law
• Team of the Year – Property: Ward Hadaway
• Team of the Year – Family: David Gray Solicitors
• Law Teacher of the Year (sponsored by Echo Events & Association Management): Dr. Alison Dunn, Newcastle University
• Law Practice Management Award (sponsored by Robertson McIsaac): Winn Solicitors, Costs Department
• Law Firm of the Year (Small 1-5 Partners): Silk Family Law
• Law Firm of the Year (6+ Partners): Square One Law
• Pro Bono / Community Initiative Award: Newcastle University
• Rising Star – Young Lawyer of the Year: Martyn Tennant, Swinburne Maddison
• Lawyer of the Year (sponsored by Clayton Legal): Alison Leith, Tilly Bailey & Irvine
• Outstanding Achievement Award Award (sponsored by NWG Property Solutions): Jamie Martin, Ward Hadaway
Tonia Reeve, property solutions manager of NWG Property Solutions said: “We were delighted to be involved with the Northern Law Awards in its very first year. The event was of an extremely high quality as were all the entrants and it really was great to see the Northern legal community get the recognition that they deserve!”
The most prestigious award of the evening was the Outstanding Achievement Award, sponsored by Title Sponsor NWG Property Solutions, which was awarded to Jamie Martin of Ward Hadaway. On the evening, Jamie was congratulated for his drive, ambition, commitment and strategic vision which, in his role as managing partner of Ward Hadaway, has seen the firm expand and grow, having doubled its size since 1998 and established offices in Leeds and Manchester in addition to retaining its strong Newcastle base. Jamie has also been awarded an OBE for services to business in the North East and commissioned Deputy Lieutenant of Tyne and Wear in 2011.
Jamie said: “I was truly honoured and humbled by my award which is much appreciated and one of the highlights of my career. To be given an accolade such as this by one’s peers is something very special.”
For further details on the Northern Law Awards and all the winners please visit: www.lawawards.co.uk
Echo Events & Association Management’s upcoming events include the North East Accountancy Awards on June 25, the British Association of Critical Care Nurses Annual Conference (BACCN) 2015 in London on September 7-8, Echo Presents Disney Institute: Disney’s Approach to Leadership Excellence in London on September 25, Music Futures on November 12, and next year’s Tyne and Wear Heritage Conference.
I Love Newcastle Magazine would love to hear your thoughts about the above post, so please feel free to share them in the comments box below.