Newcastle artists and designers are opening their doors to the public this weekend (24-25 November) for the Ouseburn Open Studios event.
The annual event offers the chance to see into the working world of more than 200 local creatives and is returning with a bumper line-up this year.
As well as an eclectic programme of arts and culture, there will be live music, food and drink and the opportunity to buy a huge variety of original works.
Everything from paintings, ceramics and sculpture, to jewellery, furniture and prints will be on offer at the family-friendly event.
Eight venues are taking part in this 23rd year of the event.
The programme includes:
- 36 Lime Street – “Seek” exhibition – find the connections between artist’s work in the gallery and in their studios in their beautiful five-storey listed building. Buy tickets for the raffle with letterpress prints as the tickets, a prize in themselves, with all proceeds are going towards the building maintenance fund.
- Cobalt – explore the studios, art’s venue and other areas in development. There will be proper coffee, homemade food, fully licensed bar, music, DJs, silent films, riso prints for sale and arts workshops. In the evening ska/reggae/hip hop band King Porter Stomp will be playing (ticketed separately).
- Jim Edwards Artist Studio Gallery – for his latest exhibition, You Are Here, Jim Edwards will be exploring the themes of Wayfinding; knowing where you are, where your desired location is, and knowing how to get there from your present location. A framed limited-edition print will also be up for grabs.
- Mushroom Works – visit a range of artists, discover the techniques they use and discuss the passions that inspire their work. The venue will also be showcasing its ever popular 20cm x 20cm original artworks, all priced at an affordable £20.
- Northern Print – Enjoy our Twelve Printmakers for 2018 with works by well-known and up-and-coming artists from the studio as well as the very best in British and International printmakers. Get behind-the-scenes in the printmaking studio and see the printing presses in action and meet some of our artists. Share some goodwill by creating your own hand-printed card, envelope and stamp using our printing presses all ready to post for Christmas.
- The Biscuit Factory – To celebrate its new contemporary craft space, the gallery will be full of artists and makers at work – with twinkling lights and live music from jazz duo Hand to Mouth, whilst you shop for unique gifts, meet the makers, paint your own Christmas bauble and enjoy a swing-a-long brunch in The Factory Kitchen.
- The Biscuit Tin Studio – visit the Life Class exhibition in the gallery which features the work of Biscuit Tin artists and friends, showing drawings, prints and paintings about that most enduring of subjects. Have a glass of wine and try your hand at drawing.
- The Kiln – The Kiln will be welcoming the public into the studio to get to grips with clay by making whatever comes to their imagination! There is a great range of ceramic works for sale throughout the venue, and Kiln Cafe will be keeping everyone warm and refreshed while you express your creativity.
Rachel Brown, General Manager of The Biscuit Factory says: “This year’s event is full of vibrancy. As well as visitors being able to go behind the scenes, there are so many opportunities this year for them to get involved.
“Open Studios is such a great showcase of the cultural variety we have here in the Ouseburn.
“At its core, Open Studios is a community arts festival that celebrates home-grown creative enterprise and warmly welcomes all to come by and support their local artists.”
Ouseburn Open Studios takes place between 10am and 5pm on Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th November in Newcastle’s Ouseburn Valley.
Ouseburn Open Studios is open to the public and free to attend. For more information about Ouseburn Open Studios, visit www.ouseburnopenstudios.org
I Love Newcastle Magazine would love to hear your thoughts about the above post, so please feel free to share them in the comments box below.